Page 1 of 2Laboratory accreditation provides a means of determining the competence of laboratories to perform specific type of testing, measuring and calibration. The following KEPHIS laboratories has received International Accreditation:- (1) SEED TESTING LABORATORY by International Seed Testing Association (2) ANALYTICAL CHEMIST LABORATORY by South Africa National Accreditation System
INTERNATIONAL ACCREDITATION OF KENYA PLANT HEALTH INSPECTORATE SERVICE (KEPHIS) LABORATORIES
What is International Accreditation?
International accreditation provides a means of determining the competence of an institution to perform specific types of activities and operations. Accreditation involves an independent assessment by technical experts and enables an institution to determine whether it is performing its work correctly and to appropriate standards. In addition, it provides formal recognition to competent authorities, thus providing ready means for customers to access reliable services.
The following KEPHIS services have received international accreditation/recognition:
1. Seed Testing Laboratory by the International Seed Testing Association (ISTA)
2. Analytical Chemistry Laboratory by South African National Accreditation System (SANAS)
3. Grading and inspection of fruits and vegetables by the European Commission (EU).
The Seed Testing Laboratory
The ISTA accreditation is based on ISO/IEC 17025 with the aim to verify if a seed testing laboratory is technically competent to carry out seed testing procedures in accordance with the ISTA Rules. The primary purpose of ISTA is to develop, adopt, and publish standard procedures for sampling and testing of seeds, and to promote uniform application of these procedures for evaluation of seeds moving in international trade.
· Free access to the International Rules and Seed Testing
· Get valuable information through all ISTA publications.
· Access to leading seed experts worldwide.
· Be involved in seed testing methodology development.
· Participate in the ISTA proficiency Test Programme.
· Get ISTA support on Quality Assurance Systems.
· Issue ISTA international certificates.
· Opportunity to articulate and defend national interest in seed trade during various ISTA fora
· Ensures that the seed being traded locally and exported are of high quality.
· ISTA provides a platform for research and cooperation between seed scientists worldwide
and the Seed Testing Laboratory.
The Analytical Chemistry Laboratory (ACL)
The Analytical Chemistry laboratory (ACL) is accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 by SANAS, a full member of ILAC (International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation). ILAC provides for global recognition of laboratory and inspection facilities thereby facilitating acceptance of tests, inspection, and calibration data accompanying goods across national borders. The ACL laboratory undertakes:
- Analysis of agricultural inputs: This assures on the quality of agricultural inputs used in production including fertilizers, foliar feeds, irrigation, crop protection products, water, animal feeds, and organic manure.
- Soil analysis and advisory services to farmers on the appropriate use of fertilizers to ensure appropriate remediation for improved crop production and maintenance of soil fertility. In addition to monitoring nutrient cycles for optimal plant nutrition, farm level soil and plant tissue analysis are undertaken.
- Pesticide residue analysis in agricultural commodities and pesticide formulation analysis to determine active ingredient.
- Environmental sample analysis including soil, water, and animal tissue, etc.