- Written by Kephis
- Category: quicklinks
- Hits: 136
Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS) is a regulatory body established under the State Corporations Act (Cap 446) pursuant to Legal Notice No. 305 of 18th October 1996. The Corporation commenced operations in 1997.
This Service Charter is a commitment by KEPHIS to improve service delivery to clients and other stakeholders. It also serves to enhance public awareness of the organization’s regulatory role.
The Lead Regulator and Facilitator of Globally Competitive Agriculture.
To Provide a Science-based Regulatory Service by Assuring Quality of Agricultural Inputs and Produce to Promote Food Security and Sustainable Development
The guiding principles in the operations of KEPHIS are:
- Customer Focus
- Team Work
- Innovation and creativity
- Professionalism and
- Corporate Social Responsibility
Services Offered by KEPHIS:
- Distinctness, Uniformity and Stability (DUS) tests for grant of Plant Breeders Rights
- National Performance Trials (value for cultivation) for crop variety release and commercialization
- Registration of seed merchants
- Licensing of seed sellers
- Registration of seed growers
- Seed field inspections
- Inspection of seeds during processing
- Seed sampling and testing
- Post control verification
- Post certification surveys
- Inspection of import and export plant materials
- Plant quarantine
- Pest and disease diagnosis
- Enforcement of biosafety requirements
- Analyses of agricultural inputs (fertilizers, soil, agro-chemicals, water, manure, irrigation water and others)
- Agro-chemical residue analyses in agricultural produce and animal tissues
- Environmental monitoring for contaminants
- Conformity assessment
- Trade facilitation, training and technical support
- Farmer advisory services.
SEED CERTIFICATION AND PLANT VARIETY PROTECTION SERVICES
KEPHIS' activities and services involve offering inspectorate services on all...
International exchange of germplasm and trade/movement of plants and plant...